Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Drive-by Architecture: Youngwood Court

304 Muirfield Rd

I used to call this the House of the Davids, but now I can be more precise: there are 18 Davids lining the U-shaped driveway. And it has a proper name: Youngwood Court. I always imagined the owners were drug lords circa Miami 1986. While I was there, a youngish guy came out and started washing his Porsche, so I asked him if it was alright to take some pictures of the house. He said it was cool, go ahead. I took four, counted the Davids and left. Two left turns later, I was at a stoplight when a mad black woman tapped on my window with her gold rings. I'd seen her get into her black SUV when I pulled away from Youngwood Court, but now she was right here, demanding that I roll down my window and tell her who I was.
"Why are you taking pictures of that house?"
She seemed like she had a lot of authority. And that if I drove away, she might follow me.
"I write a blog about things to drive by around town."
"I want your business card. What's your name?"
"I'm working on the business card situation, actually." And then, "Wait, who are you?"
"Why are you taking pictures of my neighbor's house? What's your name?"
"Erin."
"What's the name of your blog?"
"Hot Words."
"OK, then. Alright."

304 Muirfield Rd

To see Youngwood Court for yourself, drive-by 304 Muirfield Rd at 3rd St, it's on the SE corner. Just don't take any pictures.

304 Muirfield Rd

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Erin, Very way cool blog! Love the photos, some buildings I hadn't seen before and some I hadn't seen in that way. You're making the city look great!

See ya on a rooftop,
Best,

Geoffrey the stranger